Featured post

STATIONS OF THE CROSS

Friday 14 March 2014

With the Apostles; Phillip and James (the Less)

Whenever I visit my cousin in Sarnia I try to make a point of stopping in the Watford cemetery to pay my respects to my father.  If we are cruising by on our motorcycles he very graciously allows me that 10 or 15 minutes to sit quietly on the bench we put by my father's grave and offer a few prayers for the repose of his soul.  It is time well spent, even if it takes a little while longer to get to wherever we happen to be going.  He understands my need to do this and waits patiently and respectfully until I am finished.

It is something like that here.  Everywhere I go there are places where my spiritual ancestors are buried, where their remains are kept sacred and where I am allowed a few moments to pay my respects.  In this case, this morning, I sat in silence and prayer before the tombs of St. Phillip and St. James (the Less), Apostles and Martyrs.  They rest in the Church of the Apostles, Rome.  




There are statues of the 12 Apostles standing watch on the top of the porch leading to this Basilica. Rome as grown up around it so that you can hardly tell from the outside that it is a church anymore.  A sidewalk café with umbrella tables on the right and condominiums on the left.  It is fully integrated into the very fabric of the city.  Very little on the exterior will draw your attention.  But, like every Basilica, Church, and Chapel I've seen in Rome, the interior is a feast for the eyes and for the soul.


The Franciscan cross of San Damiano greets you as you enter and tells you that this Church is served by the spiritual descendants of St Francis of Assisi.  The ceiling will tell you that too and I have included a picture of it later in the blog post.  It is a fresco called, 'The Triumph of the Franciscan Order'.

I was drawn forward, as one always is, from the street outside along the center aisle, the vertical beam of the cross, toward the head of the cross where the altar rests.  Most of these churches were designed in the shape of a cross.  The long aisle in the nave is intersected by the horizontal 'cross beam', the transepts on either side being the arms of the cross, and the altar and apse being the head, representing Christ... and so that area of the church gets special attention.


The Altar piece is a fine painting of the martyrdom of one of the two Apostle, though I confess I didn't make note of which one - Phillip or James?  I'll try to find out.

Although the original church was constructed in the 5th century, it didn't survive an earthquake in the 14th century and was abandoned for a long time.  It was rebuilt, of course and the Confessio or crypt was added in the 19th century to provide an extraordinary sacred space to hold the relics of Sts Phillip and James, as well as other martyred Christians from the catacombs.  An inscription explains that Pope Stephen IV walked barefoot in 886 from the catacombs to the church carrying the relics on his shoulders.

Come with me into the crypt...

Staircase descending into the crypt
The Confessio of St Philip and St James, Apostles and Martyrs


The tomb
Standing in the Confessio facing the stairs, looking through to where the other Christians from the Catacombs are reserved
Same view, standing at the foot of the stairs, among the pillars, looking back up into the Church
I guess I don't have to tell you that this is the ceiling
I just have to ask you to try to appreciate the significance of this Church and this Confessio.  I never knew this existed.  I knew, but didn't really grasp, the loving care, concern and veneration that the Church has given to its Martyrs, and of course, its first apostles.  I should have realized that they would treasure every aspect of what could be preserved from their life and death... these 12 men who turned the world upside down.  The sense of connectedness I feel to real history is profound.  I belong to this history.  I am one with the Apostles Philip and James, with the unnamed and unknown martyrs who populated the catacombs after the 'Games' in the Colosseum. 

Every day is a day of discovery... where I learn about my own spiritual heritage.  I am glad to share parts of it with you.  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey, Father Paul. Every day is a worthwhile few minutes of reflection on the tangible elements of our shared faith. We will be offering Mass at St. Thomas More (Ordinariate) Toronto at 10:30 AM Wednesday, March 19 on the Feast of St. Joseph for you and all the Lenten pilgrims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you, especially on the feast of St. Joseph. I appreciate your prayers.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to reading your blog every day. It is so interesting and I almost feel like I am there...almost! I love the pictures. You really put alot of effort into this and I thank you for sharing your pilgrimage. Love you!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and reflections here for all of us. If we can't be there, we can at least live it vicariously through your words.
    We will celebrate the Feast of St. Joseph tomorrow at St. Joseph's in Borden, and you will be in our prayers.
    Many blessings
    Cindy and Len

    ReplyDelete